Peruvian Girl's background blues


I only had a little bit of time at the end of the day to work on this, so I tried implementing some of the suggestions I got by asking for advice. Thank you to all those who took the time to offer your good eyes and thoughts. I got lots of suggestions, much of it conflicting. I figure it's just paint and I can try different things until something looks right. I greyed the blanket down a bit by glazing over what was there with its compliment. I first put the fuchsia in the middle stripe and it overpowered the painting. Then I took it way back to a cool greenish ochre. Still looks a bit pinkish, I think. I can see that my stripes don't really match up from side to side and I've lost some of the wave of the fabric. I'll work on it again Thursday.

5 comments:

Karen Hargett said...

Susan this little girl is so cute - you've done a wonderful job. I love her complexion and the colors of her sweater and the delicate textures of her hat. I wonder if the pattern of the stripes mean anything in her sweater?

Amy Gethins Sullivan said...

Very nice Susan,
A little more tweaking here & there and it is beautiful.
The subdued colors in the background are much better. Funny, how color is so powerful.
~Amy~

Jo Castillo said...

Ah, Susan, she is a sweetie. Looking very nice.

Anonymous said...

A nice painting. So much red but you put it all to good use.

I also like your self-portrait. You could call it suntan in a paint tube; much better for your skin health.

Susan Carlin said...

Thank you, Karen. You know, I wondered the same thing. It would be interesting to know.
Amy, it's so true. A slight change of color can rewrite the whole story of a painting. This one's a cliffhanger right now.
Thanks, Jo.
Thanks, Bill. I fell passionately in love with Franz Kupka's The Yellow Scale at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, and every now and then have to see if I can surround the figure with the same color they are wearing and get away with it like he did. Jury's still out on this one.