Self portrait


Last night my sister and I were watching a video sent to me by Lindsay in Australia- Forger's Masterclass- in which a convicted art forger shows three artists how to create paintings in the manner of one of the masters. We watched the episode about Van Gogh where the artists were asked to do self portraits using mirrors, then I proposed that we try painting ourselves that way, too. Patty was able to stay and paint for two hours, but I couldn't stop, so I painted about 4 and a half hours last night and another hour or so this morning. I can't claim it has any resemblance to one of Vincent's, but I really liked using the broken strokes of color. It felt a bit like doing a pastel painting. In order to get going without too much delay, I accepted the lighting in my computer room as it was. It was a challenge, for sure.

14 comments:

Gwen Bell said...

FANTASTIC! Hate that I missed watching you do this. Very Van Gogh indeed. Love that wonderful hair!

myra anderson said...

I love it!

Barbara Muir said...

Susan you are beautiful, and so is this painting. Super.

xoxoxoxoBarbara

Barbara Pask said...

Wow, this is fantastic. I missed you, shucks. You should have recorded it. Love it!

Peggy Montano & Paintings said...

Like everything about it Susan. But the hair...I want to paint hair like that.

Dar Presto said...

I LOVE this! I see the same tenderness and sensitivity you offer your portrait sitters, and that is indeed in the spirit of Vincent. There is so much going on behind those eyes. You have such awesome hair, and the color and texture here brings it to life so well. Hooray!

Diana Marshall said...

Brilliant painting looks even better on your blog, I bet it is stunning in person.

Rosemary said...

Beautiful lady, beautiful painting! So glad I could join you this morning and watch you paint live! What fun painting with the broken color strokes! Great job! I, too, LOVE the hair!

Marian Fortunati said...

Gosh Susan, this is WONDERFUL!!!

If only I could just watch a video and then go off and create something as terrific as this!!!

WOW... (great model too!!!)

L.Holm said...

I love it, Susan! It's Van Gogh with your own unique vision. Beautiful portrait of beautiful you!

Ann Reyes said...

Susan, this is wonderful!!! I especially love the colors in your hair!

Susan Carlin said...

I just love you guys. Thank you for encouraging my experimentation and for the sweet, sweet compliments. My hair thanks you, too! This painting is in the oven right now fuming up my house. If I can get it dry and 'varnished', I'd like to put it in a show on Sunday. Now you now how nuts I am. Or did you have an inkling already?

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

I don't think it looks at all like a Van Gogh but it sure looks good. I think you have your own broken color style. And I like your painting better than his not counting purely monetary value.

J. Crawford Art said...

Susan this is my favorite painting of u. You are a beautiful lady. Great Art....Great Model
Janice