Oil portrait of my dad from a sitting


I've mentioned before that my folks are visiting. My dad's been keeping me company at the gallery most days since their arrival. Today was his last day to do that because tomorrow they pack to go.
So today I asked if he'd sit for a portrait, kind of thinking he'd say no. He said yes! So I pulled a 16x20 canvas panel out, added some fresh paint to my palette, turned on the video camera and started painting. I painted fast and furiously for about 3 hours and this is what I got.
It's not the best. I did take photos of his pose and may make the corrections I see I could make- later. But I want to tell you, it was a pretty special 3 hours. I've been looking at his face for almost 53 years and watching it change as mine has. Dad turns 80 in a few days. Mom will be 80 in June. Our time is more and more precious, we realize. And it was so good to spend some of it painting Dad.
The video is spotty. Still the problem of my big ol' hair getting in the way of you seeing the canvas. Once I get a chance to edit it, I'll see what might be worthwhile showing.
What have you all been up to?

6 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

What a special day and portrait! Lucky you. Your father is a handsome man. Very nice light and shadows. Good colors, too.

We are back from the powwow and are exhausted!

Later....

Diana Marshall said...

What a special portrait it's very touching. I think its perfect...

Joanna said...

Wow. Very cool.

Anita Davies said...

Beautiful!

Pamela Clarkson said...

Really nice job Susan--what a special painting--he has to be so proud of you. See you on Thursday.

Susan Carlin said...

Thank you, Jo, Diana, Joanna, Anita and Pamela. It was pretty cool to paint the man who took a painting class with me when I was nine. We painted a snow scene, I remember.