Langley Elementary School Dedication


Well, it was marvelous. Last night was the dedication of the new school that was named after Ralph Langley, the subject of the mural painting I finished recently. As I walked in the main entrance of the school, the mural hung facing me above the corridor directly opposite. In other words, you can't miss it! The original oil painting is two feet by 4 feet, and was presented at a luncheon yesterday to the law firm founded by Mr. Langley.
It was borrowed back briefly for the dedication last night, and brought on stage by two adorable children. I was invited up to be introduced as the artist responsible for the mural at the entrance to the school. Very nice.
The whole program was quite moving. It was a loving memorial to Mr Langley who died six years ago but who has left a lasting legacy here in San Antonio.
His daughter, Janis, was the spokesperson for her family at the luncheon and at the dedication, and is responsible for commissioning me to do the painting. I wrote her a thank you this morning and this was part of her reply:
I can't tell you how thrilled we are with your work, at every level. The design was way beyond what I expected (I don't know what I expected, really) but the notion of the print was true brilliance.
I hope and bet you will get further work from this- comments were made by NISD that this sets a new level for these "murals," so wouldn't that be great?
Thanks so much for being part of this effort, going above and beyond just doing a painting!
With deep appreciation,
Janis
Those are the kind of words that can keep an artist painting, don't you agree?
I had to document this... me dressed in something other than rumpled, paint-spattered clothes! My fabulous artist friend Laura Jeanne Pitts made the gorgeous jacket I'm wearing. I felt like a million bucks last night.
Now it's time to continue work on my lengthening schedule of commissioned portraits and also try to tuck in a competition painting or two along the way. Thank you to everyone who wished me well and kept me company as I painted the Ralph Langley mural painting!

14 comments:

J. Crawford Art said...

Awesome job on the painting and u looked so Beautiful and yes u looked like a million bucks :) Thanks for sharing with us.
Janice

Dar Presto said...

Woo, you've got great legs girl! And your jacket looks awesome, especially photographed in front of the perfect wall.

That was a very fulfilling project. The mural looks terrific.

Sandra Galda said...

congrads and beautiful job!

M. S. said...

Susan, I'm so happy and excited for you, it is so well deserved!!! Wish I could follow your broadcasts more frequently but the time difference and my own work schedules are brutal! Thank you so much for sharing, I really admire your work and your endless dedication and passion to art!
You absolutely need to submit entires to competitions, your talent deserves much broader recognition!
Mary from Israel

Lokelani Forrest said...

Susan...congratulations on a job well done. It is in such a prominent place that it will not be missed by anyone entering that building. And, you look great.

Karen Jensen said...

Congratulations, Susan! I hope this does bring you many more commissions.

Debbie said...

Susan, What a wonderful and exciting achievement!!! Congratulations, and thank you for sharing your experiences with us!

Barbara Pask said...

What a great night and you were the star. I'm so glad you let us watch this painting happen. You are quite the talented lady and I'm with Dar, "great legs".

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Susan,

How exciting. Congratulations. You look fantastic. What a thrill it must be to see that a painting you've
created means so much to so many people. You are great.

xoxoxoxoxBarbara

Pattie Wall said...

Wonderful that you have painted such a lovely piece commemorating such a celeb in the community! It is awesome hanging there above everyone who walks in and just think, they will view it and love it everyday! You looked marvelous for your special event, love the jacket! Congratulations!

M. M. Harman said...

Oh My! Lady, you do sparkle and shine. I hope the evening was magical for you. Watching you create this one was certainly magical for many of us!

You look like a princess!

Bonnie Mann said...

You do look like a million!! And congratulations, again, on the fabulous murel.

Susan Carlin said...

Thank you, dear Ones. I sure appreciate you celebrating with me. Oh, and my legs thank you, too! Because you mentioned them, they insist on being in purple-and black striped stockings for Halloween under my witchy wear. See what you've done!

Studio Zanne said...

Wow! This is so great!!! Congratulations, Susan! And you look marvelous!