Progress on Grampy and Kaiden


I got to work on this 11 x 14 (oil on stretched canvas) portrait today and feel really good about the progress. I see a few things to refine tomorrow, but basically like how it looks. I want to work on Grampy's forehead and whiskers some. I simplified the blanket and am not sure about the stripes since they echo the pattern that the boy's collar makes. I'll look at it again tomorrow.
This is where I'd left off before the workshop.

The workshop went really well, I think. I've heard from three of the participants since I got home and they say their heads are about to burst, but that it was good. The paint-along was a good idea and helped quite a lot.

Thank you for all your birthday wishes for my mom. I'll pass the rest of them on when we talk in a bit.

6 comments:

Marilyn Moore said...

It was nice to see this "in person" today and now to see the finished painting on the blog. I like the contrast of the soft, new baby skin (I can almost smell the baby powder) and the rough, weathered complexion of the grandpa. This child will have a treasure for a lifetime!

Diana Marshall said...

Beautiful painting, its so perfect, the babies face is so soft and delicate and grandpa so rugged and masculine. You make painting look so easy, but the angles of the faces are complex and you seem to master any painting challenge with ease.

Karen Jensen said...

This is a sweet, sweet painting. I know those grandparents are going to hang it in a place of honor.

Dianne Mize said...

What you've done here is why you are becoming an outstanding portrait painter. They're breathing!

Jo Castillo said...

Just lovely, sigh.....

Susan Carlin said...

What would I do without you to show my work to? I swear I paint as much for you as for any other reason. Thank you for coming by to comment and encourage.