Calico commission, 5"x7" oil on canvas panel


Back to my brushes... actually one brush, a very cheap bristle flat. I really do need better brushes. I used the palette knife to scrape out the whiskers. I like this little painting. Every time I paint a cat, I wish I had 10 more in a row to do.
Tomorrow is my 53rd birthday and a new artist, Ilze, will be at my gallery so I can go visit other art galleries and museums all day. Karen and I are going to the McNay and the San Antonio Museum of Art and the Greenhouse Gallery. Heaven, right? We'll have dinner with family at Texas Roadhouse (a peanut-shells-on-the-floor, noisy, steaks-and-baked-potatoes sort of place) and then head home for a piece of the chocolate Kahlua cake Karen's making today.
Sunday I'm having a party online with you! And we don't even have to wear silly hats. Well, you can if you want to... who's to know?

10 comments:

Dar Presto said...

you work wonders with that cheap brush. kitty is pretty.

Happy Happy Birthday! Best wishes. I hope you and Karen have a terrific time.
Hey, consider wearing a tiara all day, to get the special treatment you deserve.

Ann Reyes said...

Happy Birthday, Susan!!! I hope you will have a wonderful day. It sounds like lots of fun.

Your calico cat is so sweet; I can almost feel the soft fur. I love cats--have 3. I know I've said it before, but you're amazing!

Barbara Pask said...

This cat is fantastic! Happy Birthday to you, you're still a young chick. I say that because I'm a couple years older and I'm not old, lol.

lmp said...

I love your portrait of a cat. I think you did a great job with the fur and the texture of the coat. I love the nose. Cats are my favorite animal and I really enjoy art where they have been so perfectly captured.

Stacey Peterson said...

Happy Birthday Susan!!

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Happy Birthday! BTW I love this feline painting, you really captured the soft silky fur of the calico!

Jo Castillo said...

Great painting. I'm not fond of cats, maybe if they stayed as kittens. :)

Happy Birthday! Nice you are going museum hopping. My favorite outdoor sculpture at the McNay is the George Rickey, Horizontal Column of Five Squares Excentric II, 1994. It is the little reflection pool with the 5 silver boxes that float on the slightest breezes. Fascinating.

Have the greatest day. Hugs.

KarenHargett said...

Hey Happy Birthday - sounds like it will be a great day!

I love your cat painting.

Gaye Sekula: Impressions said...

Happy Birthday! Hope it was a good one.
Loving all of your paintings!

Jo Castillo said...

I went to the party and my browser quit at the end, I sent hugs, it showed me as a number. Ha. It was great and you were kind to share and party with us.