Commission finished.... almost?

This painting's deadline was the 25th, but we all got an intestinal virus that flattened first Morgan, then Karen and me, so I just got it done tonight. Actually, I may work a bit more on it tomorrow after I have a chance to see it fresh in the morning. The reference photos were several years old and not one of them was right in itself, so the painting is a compilation of bits from each of them. It's an oil, 16"x 20" on stretched canvas.

In spite of the flu, Christmas was one of the nicest ever. I'm told that the La Villita gallery contract is taking longer than they planned, so I'll get it closer to the middle of January than the beginning. So we're going to work on some home improvement projects here at home until then. I've gotten to talk with two other artists who I hope will be involved in the gallery down the line. There are some wickedly talented women in this part of Texas, let me tell you.

So how are you all spending your holidays? I'm going to sing Karaoke with my friends and generally get silly. The older I get, the more fun it is to play. I was SO serious in my 20s and 30s.

Have a great New Year's Eve, Ya'll!

7 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Sorry you all were ill, bummer. Hope the Karaoke goes well and silliness rules.

The portrait is great. I like the muted background. Cute fella.

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan,
For some reason blogger has changed the comment section for us Wordpress folk...I dont like posting comments as painterchum, but it doesn't seem to want to let me change it to Sally. Hope you wont mind.

This little baby portrait has worked very well, despite your difficulties with the bits and pieces of resources you had to work from.

Sharon said...

So sorry about the flu! Neat baby portrait.

Have great fun with the Karaoke and do some Texas songs..lol

Happy New Year to you and yours.

Sharon

Mrs. G. said...

Wow, I had no idea that Professor J. was living with a real live artist. Your work is beautiful! Really, really beautiful.

Happy New Year to you and may your year be filled with creativity and inspiration!!

Linasolopoesie said...

SUSAN CIAO!!!!!
E da tanto che non venivo nel tuo blog .Ma e sempre una gioia quandoci ritorno
BUONA GIORNATA...LINA

Melanie said...

Hi Susan:

Wow. You are quite accomplished at portraiture, which I believe to be one of the trickiest, stickiest wickets around. (My MIL and BIL are painters.)

Your work is beautiful. And you absolutely have my blessing on using those photographs as reference.

Best wishes for the new year,
Melanie

Linasolopoesie said...

BUONA DOMENICA
E UN SALUTO DALl'ITALIA ...LINA