Small figure painting, "Samantha"


This is a 5x7 painting I set out to complete quickly yesterday. Ha! First of all, painting landscapes or florals or vegetation in any of its forms is still a bit foreign to me. Add to that the starting and stopping due to several visitors and phone calls while I painted. I must've spent two hours on this.

I found the photo reference on Angela Fehr's Painting Simplicity blog and boldly (ok, timidly) asked if I might be allowed to use it for a painting reference. Angela graciously agreed. Thank you, Angela! The only real change to the reference I made was painting a picket gate instead of a chain link one.

Today I took my laptop and projector to Coppini Academy and tested out the wireless connection and the lighting for the projector. All works great. I'm getting excited about the blog workshop coming up- two weeks from today!

7 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Very cool indeed (for a non flower painter)!

Angela Fehr said...

How neat to see your take on Sammi in her grandma's garden! It's flattering to see one's children immortalized on canvas and from an artistic standpoint, I like the way the white gate balances the brightness of the figure. And smart move, putting flowers in her hand instead of the bubble stuff - suits the surroundings better - I wish I'd used that kind of artistic license when I painted the photo!
I'm going to guide her grandmas to the blog to see it - is it for sale?

Susan Carlin said...

Thanks, Jo (I think).

Susan Carlin said...

Hi Angela,
Oh, every painting is for sale! Kurt Vonnegut said, "The primary benefit of practicing any art, whether well or badly, is that it enables one's soul to grow." True, AND, for me, it's the way I make my living! These little ones are $80., including the shipping. $100 framed. Please don't feel any obligation... I did this one as one of the ones I intend to start selling on eBay again. Over two years have passed since the year (2005) I did that, and I've missed it. Your daughter was fun to paint! Thank you for the compliments on my choices.

Amy Gethins Sullivan said...

Thank you Susan, & Happy Mothers Day to you too!
Love this little painting. If you don't mind I would like to add you to my blog list. This way I can hop over when ever I like.
I would also like to join your "art blog work shop", I can use all the help I can get.
Big Smile.... Amy Sullivan

Pattie Wall said...

This one is so refreshing! The way you painted it, it could be anyone's little girl. The choice of the fence is perfect! Happy Mother's Day!

Karen Hargett said...

Susan what a delightful painting. I love it. It reminds me of the one I posted on my blog today - has the same feel to it although different - both cute little girls. Happy Mother's Day all!