Cowboy 6"x6"




This fellow was the model for C. Michael Dudash yesterday at the Coppini Academy here in San Antonio for a demonstration he did for the monthly meeting. I snapped some photos from various angles and thought I'd try a small oil from them today. This portrait was super fun to do and makes me want to go out looking for great faces to paint. I've been waiting for other people to initiate the portrait painting process for me lately in the form of commissions. I'll enjoy leading the way some of the time with seeking out the faces and people I want to paint. The times I've done that have been very satisfying.

I'm going to go through the process of adding a PayPal button here so I'll have it fresh in my mind for the blog workshop participants this Saturday. $90. includes shipping. - May 20: painting sold at gallery, so am removing PayPal button.

7 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

I like this guy. Good luck on finding more faces. :)

Barbara Pask said...

Hi Susan, You're right, what an interesting face. I like all the colors I see in his face. You're good! Barb

Pattie Wall said...

He looks very rugged - like a cowboy should. Nice work! Let me know how the adding the PayPal button works for you. Do you find others easy and willing to let you photograph them for your source file?

Unknown said...

Love this cowboy Susan! I've said it before but I'll say it again, I love your ability to not only get the likeness but also the energy and personality of the person. When I was doing a lot of life drawing I used to find myself staring at people when out and about with my daily life. Sometimes they weren't so thrilled to have me staring. :)

Susan Carlin said...

Thank you, Jo, Barbara, Pattie and Chris! Pattie- mostly yes, I've found. I did ask the other day if I might take the photo of a little girl at an outdoor concert we attended, explaining I was a painter. The mother said a quick, "no." Actually, Karin Jurick said her policy is that if people are in a public place, they're fair game. If they have the expectation of privacy (getting a massage, in a rest room), then no. I've generally asked.

BipolarLawyerCook said...

So great. I love the colors-- like the dust of the range follows him around.

Dar Presto said...

Hi Susan, the cowboys are wonderful. You do such great portait work, but it must be fun for you to do non-commissions, as you can really use your chops. These pieces are exciting; they hold my interest as much as real faces do!