Not quite finished- New Umbrella


While Karen and I were out walking along the Riverwalk last Friday, we came up to street level from the Hyatt's great waterfall walkway and this woman was playing with her new umbrella/parasol, sitting on a planter's edge in direct line with the Alamo behind her. I pulled out my camera and snapped a couple of photos. So this painting is from one of those references. I think I'll have to develop the umbrella a bit more to balance more with the detail in the woman's face, but I do like how it's developing.
A couple from Magnolia, Texas, northwest of Houston, came in this afternoon and decided to take the cowboy paintings home with them. They were still wet, but I put them in gold frames and then faced the frames toward each other and bubblewrapped them tightly, so nothing could touch the surfaces of the paintings. They said the cowboy looked like a relative of theirs named Bubba. Love that, don't you?
I'm off tomorrow and will spend the time finishing up my 'handouts' to send to the Blog Workshop for Artists participants. I'm getting excited to show folks how to have all the fun I'm having with their own blogs. I'm also working on creating an online blog workshop for those who can't get away when and where I do an in-person one. I honestly think that having the blog is the single most effective thing I've done to show folks my work. I've had a website for years, but as everyone knows, it's more difficult to update and it's certainly not interactive as a blog is. Anyway, I probably won't post anything tomorrow unless I just have a compelling thought to share.
Happy painting, ya'll!

8 comments:

Pattie Wall said...

I know your blog workshop participants will love the learning you have in store for them! You have such charisma, they will love you, too! Good luck!

Pattie Wall said...

BTW - the last few paintings are great and fun to read about how they got to your easel!

Susan Carlin said...

Gosh, Pattie, thanks for that vote of confidence! I always like the know the story behind paintings, so I offer what I can on mine, too. I like that you do that, too.

Unknown said...

Best wishes for a wonderful blog workshop - I know it will be great! Congratulations too on the sale of the cowboys.

Diana Marshall said...

Another two gems Susan, the jazz players look full of character I especially like the piano player. Boy your paintings are just flying out the door and with the paint still wet on them too! I bet that made your day.
Good luck with your workshop, I'm sure it will be great.

Karen Jensen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen Jensen said...

Of course his name is Bubba! What else would it be?

Jo Castillo said...

Another nice one. I'm anxious to see the finish.

Your workshop will be so fine. Sorry not to be there!