A Finish and a Start


I saved a little time at the end of my day to give this painting some last touches. Didn't want to overwork it, and that's so easy for me to do... I'm happy with it.

I started this 11x14 oil on stretched canvas today and was so pleased with the fact that (so far) I've left the brushstrokes alone and the colors cleaner. The yellow seems to be emphasized in this photo (on my monitor, anyway) when it's not so dominate in reality. I may keep this version for myself and paint the portrait again for the client, who may prefer my more usual tighter style.

7 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Ahhh, I bet the client will love that portrait. Very nice. Great brushwork.

The brushwork in the Sax Player is very nice. I like the hints of features, finger and keys on the sax. Good finish.

Diana Marshall said...

Well Jo said exactly what I wanted to say. Those portraits just slide right off your paint brush, I so like your style and I just might try a portrait today I've been so inspired!

Sarah Sedwick Studio said...

I agree that this portrait has a really natural, spontaneous feeling to it. It just feels right! I often do this, too - leave part of the clothing basically unpainted, and it's a technique I love for lots of reasons. Your sketchy implication of the collar is right on.

Anonymous said...

I concur! Dont touch it it's perfect!!

Susan Carlin said...

Thank you, Jo, Diana, Sarah and Sally! I'm headed back to the gallery this morning to work on this painting again. I'll carry your words with me and try to paint it more fresh than photographic.

Frank Gardner said...

so, did you keep this one and start another?

Susan Carlin said...

Hi Frank- I'm sending this one to man who commissioned it. But I'm keeping what I learned. Can't wait to put it to use!