Video of Mom when we were little, and Art Mothers

Please indulge my detour from the topic of painting today....
My mom will be 81 next month, and my dad will be 81 in nine days. They live near me now and I'm enjoying them more than I can tell. My brother put this video together a while back. I thought I'd post it in Mom's honor. My folks had four children- the first three only a year apart, then my little brother 3 and a half years later. I'm the first girl, second child. If you watch the video, I'm the brown-haired ham in almost every shot. I really lucked out being Mom's daughter. She has been the most constant source of love in my life. The experience of painting anything has always involved showing Mom - and Dad- when I'm done. They always respond positively and would hang them all on the refrigerator if they had one that large. I love you, Mom. Happy Mother's Day.

I had to come back and add to this post. I am so grateful for those women artists in my life who "mother" me in regard to my painting. They advise on technique and supplies, they remind me of competitions I might enter, they celebrate with me my triumphs and sympathize with my troubles. They share their experience and wisdom and encourage me always. Where some artists fall into the "sibling" category by being, well, you know... like siblings, there are those few who have taken me under their wing and figuratively packed me a lunch, nudged me out the door and reminded me to play nice with the other children as I ventured out to learn some more.

I actually know one local artist who made it clear to her daughters that they were not to be artists themselves, because it would be competing with her. So having an actual mother is no guarantee that one will be encouraged in one's art.

Let's look around and thank our "Art Mothers" today, too.

Some of mine are Diane Manousos, Barbara Muir, Jo Castillo and Libby Peters. Thank you!!!

8 comments:

L.Holm said...

So great you've got these! Brings back so many memories of my own childhood. Thanks for sharing. Happy mother's day :-)

Dar Presto said...

Happy Mother's Day to you and to your Mom. Give Billie Sue an extra smooch today from me, as thanks for raising such a wonderful daughter.

Marian Fortunati said...

That was really beautiful, Susan. How lucky you are that your brother could take those old films and put them on a short video clip.
It is so typical of so many of our families that I know I, at least, thought about my own mom and my period of growing up as I watched.
Thank you.
And Happy Mother's Day To You!!

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Susan, thank you so much for your memories. You are a great daughter. Happy Mother's Day to you.

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Susan,

What a sweet movie. Your mother is beautiful, and it's obvious she was a wonderful mother -- which makes sense because you are such a kind, caring and creative person.

Take care,

Happy Mother's Day
xoxoxoBarbara

Jo Castillo said...

I had to come back and say that I am in good company as one of your Art Mothers. Thank you. :)

Karen Jensen said...

Happy Mother's day, Billie Sue! And you too, Susan!

Susan Abston Wiley said...

Wow, you look so much like your mom! Loved your post today, your comments and musings are what keep me coming back time after time to your wonderful blog. Oh, and your art ain't so bad, either, Gal!