My Alamo painting on TV

As a portrait artist in San Antonio, this project was a bit off my beaten track, but very rewarding.
This morning the painting of the Alamo I did for the Daughters of the Republic of Texas' 2007 Gala was on KENS TV (CBS) on the local "Great Day S.A." show. Until yesterday I was supposed to have been on the show with the painting and the spokeswoman for DRT, Joan Headley, but they had to shorten the segment to make room for something that had been added to the show. I didn't know whether to feel sad or relieved. The painting looked GREAT on its easel there, though, and Joan said some terrific things about me and the painting, and it was very flattering to be on the same bill as the director of the movie "Alamo" and the author Steven Harrigan, who wrote "The Gates of the Alamo," San Antonio's 'one book, one San Antonio' this year.

My class was last night. Everyone's working on portraiture. I'm so proud of their efforts.
Tonight is the first meeting of the Austin Pastel Society after our summer break. I'm driving up with Sherrie Allyn, another member, and am looking forward to seeing everyone again. Jeannette Cuevas is doing the demonstration tonight. Should be good.
Oh! The daughter who commissioned the painting of her dad, sister and herself came on Tuesday and declared it wonderful. I even got a big hug. So now it dries until Saturday when I'll varnish it. She's going to have prints made for her sister and dad, so she can keep the original.

4 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Congratulations all around! It is a little intimidating to be on TV.

Congrats on the commission success as well. Yeah.

Keep up the good work. Sorry to miss the APS meeting,
Jo

Karen Jensen said...

Congratulations, Susan! I am so proud of you.

Susan Carlin said...

Thanks, Jo and Karen! I'm looking forward to the Gala where I'll get to sign posters for the guests who buy them. Plus, it's always fun to dress up in sparkles and rub shoulders with other sparkly people.

Linasolopoesie said...

HELLO SUSAN
as you are? and from that I did not come in yours blog
Sai? Day 2 October and S.ANGELA. My onomastico
I would be much happy one if the auguries sent me.

in mine blog it would be a beautiful memory for all the year
I hope cho not you dispiace.

I augur you a good aim week and one
beautifulst Sunday
AN AFFECTIONATE ONE I EMBRACE… LINA