Earthen Jug, 9"x12" oil


Marcie sent an email just before I started my broadcast, suggesting another still life. So I went back through my photos and found some I took a year and a half ago at the LBJ Ranch west of Johnson City here in Texas. This kitchen was staffed by park volunteers who dressed in pioneer costume and were making gingerbread. It smelled great, the women were friendly and they let me take all the photos I wanted.
It's a pretty complicated still life for only a 9x12 canvas, but it was hard to see how to edit it. I painted maybe 4 hours last night. I got up in the middle of the night to study it. This morning I've worked on it another hour or so. I'm pretty sure it's done now. Thanks, Marcie! And thanks again to everyone who came to chat and be such good company for me and for each other! I'm probably going to paint again tonight... I'll send an email out to the painting group if/when I do.
When dry and varnished, this painting will be available for $200.

9 comments:

Regina Calton Burchett said...

Just lovely, Susan - great shadows, light and atmosphere, and I like the bits of red throughout. Also that you are so focused you have to work on it in the middle of the night!

Gwen Bell said...

Really beautiful, Susan. Love that strong light coming through the window and touching everything in it's path. This has such a bright, happy feel to it. Great job! Sorry I missed the live feed.

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Susan,

This is a great painting. Just wonderful.

xoxoxoxBarbara

Diana Marshall said...

This looks wonderful, I can see it better now in the photo. You can see that it is cloth on the breadbox because of the folds, you made a masterpiece out of a photo that wouldn't have inspired me at all. Well done as usual.

Jo Castillo said...

Ah, nice work. I love pottery and old things so this touches me. Good light and shadows. :)

Gaye Sekula: Impressions said...

Hey! I like it!

Barbara Pask said...

Wonderful Susan, love all the color throughout and the light and shadows. You took a very complicated photo and turned it into a wonderful painting.

Susan Carlin said...

Thank you, Regina, Gwen, Barbara, Diana, Jo, Gaye and Barbara! I downloaded Picassa 3 yesterday and took some time to look back through my last several years of paintings and discovered two things- I started to work in oils in 2005 (not 2004 like I'd been saying) and also that I've gotten much, much better in that time. My first oils were garish in color in my attempt not to make 'mud'. Now I love mud! Thank you all for cheering me on.

Connie Schaertl said...

Especially nice use of color!