Finish of two 8x10 portraits, progress on 16x20


I worked on the portrait of this wonderful couple for about four hours this afternoon and I like the corrections I've made and the direction it's going.
Below are the finished small portraits of the sweet looking children I've been working on. You'll have to imagine them varnished - the darks will "come back" then. Have I mentioned how much I love to varnish paintings? It's like magic watching paintings return to the rich color and proper values of when they were first painted.

Yesterday I received a photo of the pastel portrait I did for a couple 27 years ago on their honeymoon in Provincetown, MA, when I was one of 7 portrait artists in a studio there:
I even think I remember painting them... and that's saying something, considering how wacko my memory has been lately.
I see how much I've learned since then. I'm also acutely aware of how much I still have to learn.
Here's to the journey ahead for all of us!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The old portraits still hold up nicely though. Except for maybe the wardrobe. ;)

Joanna said...

Wow. 'Love the "found" painting from 1982. Now, you'll have to do an update portrait of the couple!

JohanneMorinFineArt said...

Wow Susan! you're a machine. These portraits all look great to me. Did I ever tell you that you're an inspiration to me?

Jake Zigler said...

That's my mom and dad! I've looked at that painting and wondered about it every day of my life until I moved out. Now I finally know who painted it! I like the mustache.

Ann Reyes said...

Susan, your portraits are great! I can't wait to see the one of the couple finished. Hey, you were good 27 years ago, but you have "loosened up" a bit...