Finished demo from workshop


11" x 14" oil on canvas panel (made by Yes!)
I'm riding the bus to work these days. I drive three miles to the Park And Ride and take an express bus into town and back. It's great! It's just as fast and I'm saving over a hundred dollars a month in gas and parking to do that and the stops are as close or closer than the parking lot I was using. Today was the first day I used a little rolling cart to transport more things than I could carry. Just as I turned into La Villita, this still-wet painting slipped off the top and I rolled right over it. The girl had a tire track right through her forehead. If that isn't motivation to get busy right away and finish the painting, I don't know what is!
I had two great conversations today with two artists from Magnolia, northwest of Houston, and a photographer from St. Louis, and a few short, sweet ones.

8 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Hi there, convenient transport. Nice!

The portrait doesn't look worse for wear. (Is that right?) Good job. The pose looks very natural.

n. rhodes harper said...

Love the painting! You sould watch how you drive those carts lol! You are marvelous riding the bus, I am jealous, I would have to drive to find a bus stop!

Susan Carlin said...

Thanks Jo! I painted her too far to the left, so had to move her arm forward to account for the space. Seemed to work alright.
Thanks Nancy! I know what you mean- I have to drive 3 miles to the Park and Ride, but it's a straight shot after that and saves me 27 miles at least each day, plus parking. Extra dollars! Plus I've loved the cool, quiet time to go over my to-do list and just breathe.

Marilyn Moore said...

I love your painting and I love your optimism. Someday soon I want to visit your gallery. I watched you demo at New Braufels Art League. Your talent knows no end.

Chris Armes said...

I love your painting. It is so natural. There is something to be said for rolly carts. I feel like a packmule with all my stuff.

janabouc said...

You'd never know she'd just been run over by a runaway cart! I agree with Chris above about how natural she looks. I love the way your colors are so vibrant and yet the effect is purely natural.

Susan Carlin said...

Thank you, Marilyn, Chris and Jana!
I appreciate the 'natural' comment so much. The photo seems to emphasize the red on her lower cheek where in the painting it isn't SO noticeable... and I wondered if that would make it look funny to ya'll. Guess I worried for nothing! And I guess I need to know more how to use the color correction tools in Photoshop...

Frank Gardner said...

Great portrait. I would not have known she was hit by a cart.