Two New Starts

This is a 12x12 oil on stretched canvas I worked on yesterday and today and may be 80% done. I actually thought I was done at one point and signed it. Prematurely, I see. There are a couple of things I want to straighten out. It's funny how much I can see after I shrink it to a small file size and see it on the monitor. The reference photo is one I begged for... from the loving grandmother of these boys. She said they asked the boy in the foreground to hold his head still, so he reached up and held it still. So literal, that boy.

This is a 5x7 oil on canvas panel. It's one of two commissioned by someone who bought another cat I painted a year ago and wanted two others to keep it company on his wall. He went through my cat references with me and chose this serious Siamese mix and a great profile of a tabby. They each have a strong background color. The one he owns has a great yellow/orange and the tabby has a bright green. The fun finishing element in painting cats is putting in the whiskers. I just scratch a sharp point quickly in the trajectory of the whisker and it removes the paint back down to the white canvas.

Say, if you would prefer getting these posts less often, or even not at all, just let me know and I'll make the changes for you.
To email me: susan@susancarlin.com
To view the blog or archives: http://susansartjournal.blogspot.com/
Stay in touch!

4 comments:

K. said...

I love both the kiddies and the kitty, but I can see why you begged for the top one - it's such a better capture of personality then the typical posed photo.

Mary spires said...

Hi Susan, Just love this one! The boys personalities show thru! This is my second favorite, first being the self portrait that you did in Carol Marine & Karin Jurick workshop last month.

Barbara Pask said...

Hi Susan, Grandma here, I think you did a great job on the portrait of the boys. I'm sure it was a tough photo to work from, it was so dark. The only thing I see because I know them is Josh on the left, something about his eyes. Maybe too wide set? Not sure but it's still wonderful. What a treat to see it painted. I'll forward this on to their mothers to see. Barb

Jo Castillo said...

Susan, these are great paintings. The 'holding the head still' is a great story. :)

There are never too many posts. I may not answer soon, but I love getting them and learning from you.