Skype as a way to view your model!


This is the lovely Barbara Muir from Toronto, Canada. She introduced me to Skype (I downloaded it at 4 p.m. today) and she modeled for me at 6 o'clock for an hour of my broadcast -from her bedroom in Canada! Is that not the coolest thing? I love Barbara's work- so powerful and sensitive and completely fearless. Thank you, my friend, for playing along so beautifully!
The video recording is at www.ustream.tv/channel/susancarlin .
I did play with a few details afterword, using a screen capture that Barbara took and emailed to me.
I'd LOVE to get to paint from life more often. But hey! Does looking at a webcam broadcast on Skype qualify as working from life???

Below is what I worked on after Barbara's portrait. I'm calling it Karen's Favorite Time Of Day. I'd needed to add some warmth and light to the tops of the sofa and cushions before I send the photo off as my entry to the Texas Pastel Society's first juried competion. TxPS is celebrating its first year anniversary this month, and already it has the honor of hosting Lorenzo Chavez as its first juror of its first competition. Way to go, TxPS!

15 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Hey Susan,

That was so much fun. I love your portrait of me, and the painting below. So gorgeous. You are amazing
to watch. I'll pose any time.

I did a quick sketch of you. It isn't quite right, but check it out, and watch the interview on You Tube,
the link's on my blog.

xoxoxoBarbara

Gayle Bell said...

I enjoyed watching you paint Barbara last night. I brought up the skype interview with Barbara and had it side by side with your painting, which was kind of neat. Lovely work.

Susan Carlin said...

Barbara, your sketch of me is terrific. I really enjoyed painting you and was fascinated with how well you handled the interview on YouTube. You rock!

Susan Carlin said...

Thanks, Gayle! Cool idea to open both windows. I'll have to try that!

Shelley Bittick said...

Susan,
The painting turned out great! You really captured Barbara PLUS all the PC applications involved.

Unknown said...

Susan, I just love your portrait of Karen. It's so warm and intimate. And Skype is so cool! It's the only way I get to see my little granddaughter. I bought my daughter a webcam for Christmas and we were all set. I'm going to have to write the date of your painting session on my hand or forehead, because I still have never made it one.

Edward Burton said...

BEAUTIFUL pieces, Susan! The portrait of Barbara is excellent and the mood you created for Karen's Favorite Time of Day is wonderful!

Barbara Pask said...

Hi Susan, I thought this was great fun to watch. Your portrait of her is really wonderful, you are an amazing talent.

Melinda said...

Lovely painting of Barbara. Nice work. You guys have a great thing going on with Skype! I think you've captured her quite well.

Jo Castillo said...

My reminder came on my computer about 5:30 and then I forgot. Jeepers. I watched most of the session. Very excellent painting for long distance. :) Karen's painting is great, good luck there!

theresamillerwatercolors said...

Hi Susan! Sounds like you've been having lots of fun painting online... I miss watching you!

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Susan,

In some ways this feels like a small, or large miracle, that you did this.

You are fantastic.

xoxoxBarbara

Barbara Pask said...

Hi Susan, I know you are busy but I am here to give you an award, the Art Blog Award. Check out my blog for the details. I think everyone should see your work.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Susan,
your portraits are so full of life.
Just beautiful.

r garriott said...

Such a beautiful portrait! We should all have a portrait of ourselves looking so lovely. (May I ask what you charge?) I love the Skype idea; opens up so many possibilities! I'm glad Barbara sent me here.