Allegorical commission progress


This is the result of a full day painting online with great artist friends keeping me company as I went along. It's SO different than what I usually paint, that I feel a bit like I've walked off the edge of a cliff.

I think I started around 12:30 and stopped around 8:30 or 9 p.m., with a short break around 4:00. It's 30" tall, 40" wide, oil on stretched gallery-wrapped canvas... a commission to depict the life of a 19 year old company that was begun by a husband-wife team in their upstairs bedroom and now employs many people, some of whom are continuing on with the company after its sale. The couple will be shown as a queen and king arriving at their castle at the top of the painting, after traveling a long and twisting road along which are their major clients and triumphs and difficulties. I'm pretty surprised how much was done today, but owe it all to being kept good company by several terrific artists over the hours I painted.
I'll work on it the next two days at the gallery and then again Wednesday evening during my next broadcast. Stay tuned!
If you're within traveling distance to San Antonio, please come to our celebration of the gallery being open a year now! Friday, February 13, 2-7 p.m. La Villita, Building 14B. Gallery phone- 210-226-3992.

4 comments:

Regina Calton Burchett said...

What an interesting - and challenging - commission! It looks like a lot of fun, and you are creating a great memory record for them.

Jo Castillo said...

This is amazing. Looks like a wonderful start.

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Susan, What an impressive painting! I am really overwhelmed with the size! It looks fabulous right now and I am sure will only get more wonderful. I love the concept of the painting, the journey of a business! Thanks for sharing!

Barbara Muir said...

Wow Susan,

This is a departure -- on a grand scale. Good for you.

Exciting stuff.

xoxoxoxBarbara