Final Touch, oil, 28 x 22 (Not Schmid)



I painted most of this painting almost four years ago.  I painted it online during my at-least-once-a-week livestreamed sessions and one of the artists who joined me via the chat function mentioned that the subject looked somewhat like Richard Schmid.  From that point on we referred to the painting from then on as "Not Schmid".   I still think of it with that title, to be honest.  But officially it's titled "Final Touch"... for a couple of reasons:  1) Even though the model (a nice man who did me a great favor to pose for many, many photographs) was not holding anything during our session, I gave him a paint brush in the painting. To me he looks like he's doing what all artists do toward the end of a painting- staring/seeing critically and deciding if it's time to sign it. And 2) I put this painting away just before finishing because I was puzzling too long on how to handle the shadows of his chair on the floor and wall and needed to get on to other paintings. Time passed. Other paintings were painted. About six weeks ago I pulled Not Schmid out and suddenly knew what to do about those shadows. I put on my Final Touch/es and framed the fellow up. He's watching over my shoulder in the gallery now.   A critical-eyed guardian angel.  I like him. 

4 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

My smile for this evening, thanks! You certainly handled the shadows very well. Lovely painting and you captured your idea well.

Pattie Wall said...

"Not Schmid"has the perfect title and the perfect mood for what you intended. I love it that I am seeing some more painting on your blog now - I know you must be so busy with the renovation and the gallery - but finding time to paint - suits you well friend!

Trudy R. Gomez said...

I like the intensity you captured in his eyes...beautiful work!

Susan Carlin said...

Thank you Jo and Pattie and Trae for your sweet comments!
I feel good about finally completing this painting. Now on to two commissions waiting for my attention....